[opensuse-packaging] Leap, %bcond_with and python?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:56:02 -0500
I decided to give Leap a try.

My main use case for production is a python app. The app is in OBS,
but not in Leap. (I may be the only user, so it is not a big loss.)

In trying to get it going I find that python-protobuf is not in Leap either.

Now that surprises me. python-protobuf has been in openSUSE since at
least 13.1 as a sub-project of protobuf.

The Leap protobuf specfile is at:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Leap:42.1/protobuf/protobuf.spec?expand=1

Looking at the specfile for protobuf it says:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1210 && 0%{?suse_version} != 1315
%bcond_without protobuf_python
%else
%bcond_with protobuf_python
%endif

I don't recall coming across bcond before, but that logic seems
totally backwards to me. I gather that the suse_version being 1315 in
Leap causes the python binding subproject not to be built.

questions:

- if I hard code "%bcond_without protobuf_python" then the python
bindings subproject is built. In plain english, what does
%bcond_without mean?

- Is there some reason not to build the python bindings for Leap?

- Is this just a simple bug that Leap is missing the python binding?

I note the specfile from Factory has a different conditional, so just
pushing it to Leap would probably do the trick assuming this was just
an oversight.

====
# Don't build the python bindings in SLE12 or old distros
%if ( 0%{?suse_version} == 1315 && !0%{?is_opensuse} ) ||
0%{?suse_version} < 1210
%bcond_with protobuf_python
%else
%bcond_without protobuf_python