Re: [opensuse-packaging] Use of generics in "requires" statements?
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:42:45 -0400
On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday 2015-04-29 01:04, Greg Freemyer wrote:

My SR to add a couple of generic "Requires:" to the wordpress spec
file has been rejected because they are generic:
Can someone explain to my why the use of

Requires: httpd
Requires: mod_php_any

is wrong.

Currently, only apache2-mod_php5 provides mod_php_any. This means
your package would always require apache2-mod_php5 (and as a result
of that, apache2). Even if you use lighttpd.

Requiring a webserver package is also undesired, as the webserver
may be running on another machine, thanks to (Fast)CGI over
network, e.g. through use of php-fpm.

To close the loop on this, I did the SR as a Recommends and the SR was accepted.

Greg