[opensuse-packaging] RPM verification for /etc configuration files
During an openSUSE server migration I had the idea to audit all
changed files on the old server. (I also managed new files, but with
another strategy.)

My idea was to list all changed RPM files.

# rpm -Va | tee changed-rpm-files.txt

The problem is, that I missed some actual changed files from /etc in
changed-rpm-files.txt output like /etc/hosts and /etc/aliases. After
some investigation I found that these files are listed with special
verification options in RPM SPEC files:

/usr/src/packages/SPECS/netcfg.spec (from netcfg-11.5-24.5.1.noarch,
openSUSE 13.2):
%verify(not md5 size mtime) %config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/aliases
[...]
%verify(not md5 size mtime) %config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/hosts

I guess, that some config files get this options, because they are
changed too often during normal system configuration tasks and
especially during automated tasks.

My questions:
- Is there a way to query these files (files with options
"%verify(not md5 size mtime)") in a running system?
- Is there a way to query changed of these files regardless of this
option?
- Do you think, that managing some config files with the
"%verify(not md5 size mtime)" options is generally a good idea or
should this change in coming openSUSE versions (bug report)?

Greetings,
Björn