Re: [opensuse-packaging] py2pack ignores requirements.txt?
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 10:54:55 +0200
On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Jason Craig <os-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/01/2015 02:10 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:

Is it just me or does py2pack really ignore requirements.txt files and
assume that dependencies are only stated within setup.py? I have
filed this as

https://github.com/saschpe/py2pack/issues/25

but that would seem like such a fundamental feature gap that it seems
more likely that I'm missing something (after all I am a Python
packaging newbie), otherwise presumably py2pack would be useless for
many modules.

Packages declare their dependencies in setup.py, so that is where py2pack
looks for them, just like setuptools and pip. As far as I understand it, a
requirements file is more for developing a set of packages with versions
known to work well in a certain configuration--e.g. if you are deploying a
web application with a complex list of requirements that is only really
tested with a specific set of versions of those requirements, something of
that nature.

I think this behavior is by design.

A lot of packages have a setup.y file that reads in the
requirements.txt file and uses it for the dependencies. py2pack
doesn't handle this situation.

At the very least, the contents of requirements.txt could be put in
Recommends (or Suggests, although I don't like Suggests because YaST
doesn't support it).