Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] heads-up: dropping SLE11 compatibility in d:l:python and python3
On 24.02.2015 14:19, Benjamin Denisart wrote:
On 02/24/2015 02:09 PM, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
On Monday, February 23, 2015 07:02:39 PM Tomáš Chvátal wrote:

What Jan should've changed in his message was to make it more in
way "I am
no longer going to enforce sle11 support as the effort will be spent
on
redoing the packaging a bit" (see mails on -packaging wrt the things
he
wants to do there).
Actually this is the part that I don't get. SLE11-SP3 still have 2.6
and IDK
if SP4 will have the last 2.7 branch. Even thought 2.6 is old and
unsupported from python.org since the end of 2013, most of the
packages works OK with this version.

But the key argument is that SLE11 is still a supported SLE version, and
most SLE users and developers (and this include SUSE itself) will feel
the pain of this decision. For example, OpenStack is a huge set of
Python packages that, because SUSE OpenStack Cloud product,
support SLE11 and all the openSUSE versions.

If the project decide to drop d:l:p SLE11 support, this will we
translated
of a more pain for SLE11 users / developers and a bit of less
contributions for those developers that belong to both sets (SLE11 &&
Python), and there are some of them creating new PRs right now.

Thanks,
Alberto Planas

If we want doing something to reduce mass of work, we should instead
decide what to do with python2 and 3 packages. I purpose that each time
a package is py3-compatbile and is not a dependency of a py2-only
package, we provide py3 version only in Factory.

I would like to see that py2 and py3 packages are build from the same
source (where possible, like all major distros are doing it) instead of
having 2 different versions for py2 and py3.

Cheers,

Tom