Re: [opensuse-packaging] heads-up: dropping SLE11 compatibility in d:l:python and python3
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jan,

On 02/23/2015 12:47 PM, Jan Matějek wrote:
hello Richard,

thank you for your comment. You are right that this should have
been handled differently, and I'll know that the next time an issue
like this arises. I want to apologize to anyone who feels slighted
by not being included, and I promise to do better.

To answer your question and clarify the announcement: the decision
to drop "official" support for SLE11 is agreed upon within the
internal packager team.

And how is this relevant for openSUSE? You guys can certainly disable
SLE 11 builds for the packages you maintain. That does not mean
everyone else has to follow suit. Nor is it fair to expect other
people to do extra work because of a decision made by a hand full of
guys behind the corporate fire wall.

The main point of the announcement is that we want to switch off
SLE11 builds (unless the users object, but ISTM the community
doesn't care all that much about SLE?), and that we (meaning the
internal maintainers) no longer care about SLE11 compatibility in
d:l:py.

That is your prerogative.

I agree that I should have discussed this with fellow d:l:py
maintainers first, but I hope that when stated like this, the
announcement is not as controversial.

Well, hope is the last to die. Explaining how a corporate decision in
a private room leads to such an announcement actually has the opposite
effect, at least for me.

Anyway, Benjamin already stated his disagreement and thus I'd say lets
just consider this a snafu and move on and keep things as they are.

Consider this a second disagreement. I manage a heavily mixed openSUSE
and SLE_11 environment and while ideally I'd only be running openSUSE,
I use SLE_11 to fulfill requirements from 3rd party vendors who only
support "Enterprise" distribution. I suppose I could switch to RHEL or
Ububtu TLS, but that's more pain than I'd like to experience ;-).

Also has any thought been given to the consequences of
disabling/removing the SLE_11 repo for people running private OBS
instances who link against the public OBS repos for building packages?
This is going to affect those installations/setups as well, which I've
found out first hand since another top-level repo removed SLE_11
target and effectively broke all my private SLE_11 pacakges.

Finally, while SLE_11 may no longer be a priority for SUSE since
SLE_12's release, it will be supported by SUSE until 2019 or 2022. I
think it's safe to assume people will continue running it and
utilizing the public build service for SLE_11 packages which are not
distributed with it, or are so old they want/need newer releases.

Later,
Robert

- --
Public Cloud Architect LINUX