Re: [opensuse-packaging] heads-up: dropping SLE11 compatibility in d:l:python and python3

Hi Jan,

On 02/23/2015 12:47 PM, Jan Matějek wrote:
hello Richard,

thank you for your comment. You are right that this should have
been handled differently, and I'll know that the next time an issue
like this arises. I want to apologize to anyone who feels slighted
by not being included, and I promise to do better.

To answer your question and clarify the announcement: the decision
to drop "official" support for SLE11 is agreed upon within the
internal packager team.

And how is this relevant for openSUSE? You guys can certainly disable
SLE 11 builds for the packages you maintain. That does not mean
everyone else has to follow suit. Nor is it fair to expect other
people to do extra work because of a decision made by a hand full of
guys behind the corporate fire wall.

The main point of the announcement is that we want to switch off
SLE11 builds (unless the users object, but ISTM the community
doesn't care all that much about SLE?), and that we (meaning the
internal maintainers) no longer care about SLE11 compatibility in
d:l:py.

That is your prerogative.

I agree that I should have discussed this with fellow d:l:py
maintainers first, but I hope that when stated like this, the
announcement is not as controversial.

Well, hope is the last to die. Explaining how a corporate decision in
a private room leads to such an announcement actually has the opposite
effect, at least for me.

Anyway, Benjamin already stated his disagreement and thus I'd say lets
just consider this a snafu and move on and keep things as they are.

Later,
Robert

- --
Public Cloud Architect LINUX