Re: [opensuse-packaging] patch names: maybe include patch numbers?

Hello,

On Jan 12 17:18 Bernhard Voelker wrote (excerpt):
On 01/12/2015 10:33 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
can you explain the reason behind why it would be good
to have the number of the patch in its name?

basically it's the same as what Yamabam wrote:
to know the order of the patches at first glance,

The "at first glance" is determining here.

Because you need it "at first glance", you would have the
applying-order also in the patch names.

In contrast for me it is sufficient to have the applying-order
only in the .spec file in particular because I prefer to be safe
against artificial patch renaming when the applying-order needs
to be changed - but this is only my personal preference.

After reading all your comments, I think I maybe just should
go with some prefixes like "upstream-" or "downstream-" which
also gives a rough idea about the categorization.

After all, it was just an idea, and I wanted to know whether
others are using something like such patch numbering names.

I think the most important thing is to keep packages in an
easy-maintainable state which means having only few small patches
and then I think we do not need a strict advice (a.k.a. "policy")
how each individual package maintainer must name the patches.

What matters is that each individual package maintainer makes
it obvious to others what is going on in his packages.

The most useful pointer was maybe to switch to GIT for the
patch management.

I think for packages in an easy-maintainable state any kind
of "patch management" seems to be overkill and contradicts
the KISS principle (cf. U.S. Navy "Project KISS" of 1960).
Instead it overcomplicates things according to RFC1925:
"It is always possible to add another level of indirection."

I mean:
When a package really requires patch management it is likely that
the package is messed up and then patch management does not solve
the real issue (as always there are some justified exceptions).

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)