Re: [opensuse-packaging] exfat-nofuse in factory or at least consolidated in filesystem
On Tuesday 28 January 2014 08.27:54 Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Hi Bruno,

Am 27.01.2014 22:25, schrieb Bruno Friedmann:
For the shake, it would be wonderful to synchronize the different offer we
have on obs about exfat.

For example have the best of dkms alternative available here
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:aevseev/exfat-nofuse-dkms
or native
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:Akoellh:Kernelmodules/exfat-nofuse

and the fuse exfat-utils

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:seife:testing/exfat-utils
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/home:seife:testing/fuse-exfat

I just packaged those because I was under the impression that exfat
would be a good filesystem for external storage portable across OSs
(Hint: it is not), so I'm not really using it anymmore.

I can submit it to filesystems, but I will certainly not maintain it,
since I am not using it.

Okay thanks a lot for share your through about it.

Now we still have a "trouble" where this damned fs is used more and more by
high-end devices like camcorder, camera etc.
So somewhat we should propose something to our end-users to be able to pick
their data and save them to a safer fs.

Now if I can certainly package and make it build (and use it due to my
camcorder :-) I'm not able to choose between the
fuse and the no-fuse one.

Any guidance there, or what I should look at first ?

Would be nice to have all effort submitted to filesystems repository and
then pushed to factory.
Also the different packagers could work together offering a perfect need
for our end-users community

For Factory / openSUSE, the legal limbo in which all this exFAT stuff is
hanging is probably a problem.

Seems that the no-fuse is now fully GPL available, since last October.

ps : this time without cross-posting, it's not in factory for the moment.
--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member