Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: RPM in openSUSE 13.1
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 21:23:13 -0200
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Aeneas Jaißle <aj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So far I tried many ways and either works for 32-bit only or 64-bit,
it does not work for both or sometimes it failed to work at all.
Someone else suggested to depend on a specific library name, don't
like too much this approach, seems just a workaround and may break
with library's name change in the future, but if it is the only way
ok, is this going to work?
Requires: libasound_conf_pulse.so

best
Marco

There are many ways, you just have to decide what matches your case the
best.

Another approach may look like the following:

1) check, if you're building on x86_64 etc.
2) if the above AND building on SUSE, Require: alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit
3) if not on SUSE nor 64bit, always use the 'normal' package name

%ifarch x86_64 amd64 ia32e
%if 0%{suse_version}
Requires: alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit
%endif
%else
Requires: alsa-plugins-pulse(x86-32)
%endif

Easy and straightforward, don't you think?

I think the OP is talking about an LSB RPM that fails to install
properly in 13.1. And, dare I guess, probably all the versions prior
(I don't believe the 32bit suffix is a new thing).

In that sense, I believe macros like ifarch won't work well. The RPM
itself was built on either i586 or x86_64, but it won't change
dynamically the requirements encoded in the RPM itself.

I believe the only option besides building separate 32-bit and 64-bit
packages for openSUSE (that, really, why is this not done, more than a
decade after x86_64 became standard?), is to Recommend:
alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit. This is because, recommending should be
enough to get it installed usually in openSUSE (zypper tends to
install recommended packages), but making it a requirement would break
the RPM for non-openSUSE distributions.