Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Proper version scheme for packages from git, hg, svn, ...
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 11:51:24 +0000
Jan Engelhardt (jengelh@xxxxxxx) wrote:
On Monday 2014-01-13 15:38, Adam Spiers wrote:
However, please can you submit this to a fork on github,

I don't use github, sorry.

This is not a personal choice, it's how the project operates. github
and Travis are an integral part of the development workflow for
tar_scm (and many other openSUSE projects). I can't imagine why you
wouldn't use github,

Because I don't have to.

That's not a reason. You don't *have* to contribute to openSUSE
either, but you still do.

Git is reasonably distributed that I can host the
repository itself. By forcing people to use a specific service, you throw the
git effect overboard

Nope, all the benefits of git are still there.

and add an entry barrier instead.

Correct; the entry barrier of a structured collaborative development
workflow involving automated testing and peer code review is very
deliberately imposed in order to keep the project quality to a high
level. Do you think projects like Linux, git, or OpenStack would
have succeeded without a significant entry barrier?

Just like non-git is said to be.

Apples and oranges. Structured development processes are *nothing*
like being forced to use an antiquated SCM.

to contribute in general. Personally I will not merge a branch for
which I cannot conduct a code review in public,

I shall gladly post the patchez as mail. (I think I indeed might have only
sent
the pull cover mail.)

Someone already posted a pull request, and I already reviewed it.
Besides, posting the patches as mail circumvents unit testing via
Travis. Please see the third principle listed here:

http://blog.adamspiers.org/2012/11/10/7-principles-for-contributing-patches-to-software-projects/

Like I said, @TAG_OFFSET@ or similar is a big improvement.

Then again, if there is no tag, we compute the distance to the history root
instead. So @TAG_OFFSET@ isn't totally accurate either.

Good point; any better suggestions are very welcome.