Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Proper version scheme for packages from git, hg, svn, ...

On Saturday 2014-01-11 17:32, Adam Spiers wrote:
are available in the git repository at:
git://git.inai.de/obs-service-tar_scm master
for you to fetch changes up to 3c38cd32941dfc51ac1245c9de91fd63e29969fe:
tar_scm: support retrieving the git tag offset (2014-01-11 16:26:46 +0100)

However, please can you submit this to a fork on github,

I don't use github, sorry.

- It's missing a corresponding addition to the test suite. That's a
show-stopper ;-)

Surely you can address that, because I don't write python a lot either.

- I don't think "@REVISION@" is the best choice of placeholder name;
it's too misleading. Something like @TAG_OFFSET@ would be better.

I would have picked %r because that already gets you a number with
svn/hg, but %r is prone to clash with git itself in the future, so
*throws up hands in the air*.

- In general I agree that shell variables could be quoted during
expansion. But quoting variables like $? and $# is overkill,
since they will never be the empty string. Furthermore, in bash
the quotes are redundant when you are using the double [[ ]]
parentheses:

Alas, the original programmer did not think of using [[ ]] everywhere.
So, safest option: [[ and ".

Specifying the basetag also has the advantage that @REVISION@ does not
a property that %ct seemed to hold in case a new git tag (e.g. v0.3.3)
was created while _service was left at versionformat=0.3.2.something.

Ah OK, you've changed your design! Yes, this is *much* better than
some fluffy git describe --match=GLOB logic; finally it addresses the
main flaw in your scheme.

I would not call it a flaw. It just followed from --match=v* that
one could just as well specify the entire tag. :)

There's still a small risk that upstream
repositions the tag in question,

That is (even more) haphazard than repositioning a branch head,
because tags - unlike branch heads - don't get force-updated when a
client runs git-fetch.