[opensuse-packaging] Re: Stack protector isues?
Richard Biener <rguenther@xxxxxxx> writes:

The symbol is part of libc.so as well, given the name libc_nonshared.a
is always linked statically - libc.so is a linker script:

/* GNU ld script
Use the shared library, but some functions are only in
the static library, so try that secondarily. */
OUTPUT_FORMAT(elf64-x86-64)
GROUP ( /lib64/libc.so.6 /usr/lib64/libc_nonshared.a AS_NEEDED (
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 ) )

I think this is a bug in the linker in the logic for --as-needed in
connection with GROUP. Apparently the linker does not go back and
search libc.so.6 again for the undefined symbol __stack_chk_fail
referenced by libc_nonshared.a. If I either remote --as-needed or add
-lc a second time the link succeeds.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@xxxxxxx
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE 1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7