Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packages failing to link
Am 09.12.2013 15:04, schrieb Michael Matz:
Hello,

the last binutils update broke linking of executables in some packages.
E.g. php5. The symptom looks like this:

$ gcc -o conftest conftest.c -lc-client -lssl -lpam

/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../lib64/libc-client.so:

undefined reference to `pam_start'

So an application linking against some libx (c-client above) needing
symbols of liby (libpam above), where libx itself isn't linked against
liby. I.e. it's expected that all users of libx need to link against liby
themself. This situation _is_ normally okay.

Except that the recent binutils (in connection with link with --as-needed
which is the default in our build-system) update broke it when those
symbols are only provided in a versioned variant (like the pam symbols
from libpam.so).

So in plain english it means in this case that libc-client.so build is
broken and not PHP (or in my case: mailsync) build?

Best regards,

seife
--
Stefan Seyfried
"If your lighter runs out of fluid or flint and stops making