Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: krb5 dependency in Base:System
  • From: NeilBrown <neilb@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 15:48:09 +1100
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:28:13 +0100 (CET) Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx> wrote:

You can see current cycles e.g. for 13.1 at
https://build.opensuse.org/project/repository_state/openSUSE:13.1/standard

You'll see that libgssglue is in the bootstrap cycle (the one containing
gcc/rpm/binutils/glibc). Including krb5 therein will be problematic, it
will add much of the python and openldap2 stacks. E.g. checking in
python-Sphinx then would lead to a full rebuild of the bootstrap cycle,
gcc, glibc, binutils, automake/autoconf, and from there rebuilding _all_
of the distro (because the compiler rebuilt with most probably different
resulting rpm).

So, one wants to avoid adding to the bootstrap cycle even at _extremely_
large cost in maintaining e.g. several .spec files that have less
dependencies.

libtirpc builds fine with krb5-mini instead of krb5.

If we remove
BuildRequires: doxygen
from krb5-mini, leaving it only for krb5, krb5-mini still builds perfectly
and produces the same result.

The leave only keyutils and libcom_err-devel as new dependencies.
keyutils appear to have no extra dependencies, so it has little cost.
libcom_err is part of e2fsprogs.
The dependencies of e2fsprogs are mostly already in the bootstrap cycle. The
exception being makeinfo which pulls in textinfo and thus all of texlive.
We don't want that.

So does that mean we need to create e2fsprogs-mini?? Is it sufficient just
to create an e2fsprogs-mini.spec file in the e2fsprogs package, or do we need
a separate e2fsprog-mini package, just like there is a separate krb5-mini
package?

To update krb5 to exclude doxygen from the -mini build I presumably need to
submit updates to both "krb5" and "krb5-mini" - is that correct?

Thanks,
NeilBrown