Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: Re: krb5 dependency in Base:System
Hi,

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

No need to pollute the base buildsystem AND just EVERY installed
system with kerberos and/or NIS / YP stuff if it isn't needed or
wanted. What's the next proposed must-build-in dependency? CIFS(Samba)
-- or maybe something else?

There is a difference:

CIFS is an external library/package, NIS is integral part of glibc and
doesn't pull in other libraries.

But we don't speak here about NIS, we speak about IPv6 and RPC. NIS
doesn't work at all with IPv6, the protocol is incompatible.

Sure. The last time I looked at the whole pam business is fairly long
ago, so what I'll say next will have terminologies and implementation
borders wrong, but it somehow must be possible (perhaps by creating a new
pam module or hacks or what-have-you) to decrease the requirements of pam
_for purposes of the build environment_ which doesn't have network anyway
(hence NIS, but also IPv6 and RPC, are irrelevant). That (hacky) pam
module or whatever it will turn out to be (perhaps a pam-mini) can be
something only used in the build system, and hence can be coming with some
hard-coded config that no user will ever touch. (Really, that pam is in
the core cycle is the single most reason why it's so godawful difficult to
keep it from growing)

Ciao,
Michael.