[opensuse-packaging] Re: Re: krb5 dependency in Base:System
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:18, Stephan Kulow <coolo@...> wrote:
On 28.11.2013 12:01, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Thu, Nov 28, NeilBrown wrote:

pam_unix*.so uses libtirpc, presumably for NIS (aka YP) lookup.
Do we support kerberos authentication for NIS lookup I wonder.

Several PAM modules uses libtirpc as fallback, but luckily for us,
it's only really needed for pam_unix.so. And this one uses it for
different tasks.

NIS doesn't use kerberos authentication, only plain RPC.

I couldn't find a place in pam_unix.so where we call RPC functions
and are able to support IPv6, so I removed now the libtrpc dependency
to pam. But this is only possible as long as no module uses RPC with
IPv6. So this is not a long term solution, only short term.

Would it be possible to have a simple module in pam and more advanced
functionality in a different package - it can even be required by pam
as long as this is requirement does not apply in the build service
(bootstrap). I mean - long term ;)

Greetings, Stephan

IMO a split-out of NIS / YP stuff from pam_unix is needed, or
a "pam_unix_minimum" as a replacement.
A pam_nis or pam_krb "modul" makes much more sense
(as it can be left out of bootstrap).

No need to pollute the base buildsystem AND
just EVERY installed system with kerberos and/or
NIS / YP stuff if it isn't needed or wanted.
What's the next proposed must-build-in dependency?
CIFS(Samba) -- or maybe something else?

Let's get or heads together and reduce the BASE and bootstrap.

If the libtirpc / krb5 situation will not get better, maybe a
'fake-this'-lib that 'conflict' with libtirpc / krb5 and
'provides' the needed api but does not depend on anything
(just ONE *.h and ONE *.c file) will be the solution.

Think about it: Just how many of the existing OSS installs
are single machine islands that do not need that stuff at
all? -- I'd say more than 30% of the installs.

If I'm wrong, please, say so.

- Yamaban.