Re: [opensuse-packaging] /var/adm/update-scripts mechanism changed?
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:51:50 +0800
Hi, Michael,

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Michael Schroeder <mls@xxxxxxx> wrote:

There's somthing wrong with your spec file:

I don't think you really want those '*' files.

Well my work mostly concentrates on the script itself instead of the specfile.

This is from the original packager. So why he used this syntax?
simple, because it worked (at least on 12.3)

So this is not something _wrong_.

But as I'm also a heavy /var/adm/update-scripts packager, I can tell
truth about this:

It's not _wrong_, but something _not reliable_.

The * syntax works sometimes, and fails sometimes. But unluckily we
don't know when is "sometimes".

eg: Last time I researched on this * syntax in such dummy package,
steam package worked with this syntax, but my own package, wps in
home:MargueriteSu, failed. So I had to create another script to get
the complete filelist and use -f %{name}.filelist to add them into
%files section in my wps.spec, and documented the scripts in
README.SuSE.

Well, now steam failed on this too...so I have to fix it.

Marguerite