Re: [opensuse-packaging] factory-auto will start checking bnc# visibility
  • From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 14:16:48 -0200
On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Stefan Behlert <behlert@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Or... just file a new bnc with the non-sensitive description, a link
to the private bnc, and add that to the changelog.

You are aware that we are talking about thousands of bugreports in the
worst case?

No, I do not have SUSE stats.

This would mena that someone has to do this e.g. for all referenced
security bugs, all SLES/SLED bugs and much more.

Supposedly, the work for extracting a minimal description of the bug
into a public source would be small compared to actually fixing the
bug.

Just to make this clear: Yes, we try to file as many bugs against openSUSE
as possible, but there are still a lot left.

I wonder what is planned to achieve with that checking?
You are not gaining any more information, as I doubt that a lot of people
would really duplicate a (closed) security bug and strip of all related
information (which btw makes the duplication worthless).

You are just taking information for some people away.

It is really really wrong to reference a bnc by number on a changelog
when that bnc is private. It adds obscurity into the community and
that's bad.

I agree that automatically checking and giving no exception mechanism
puts SUSE employees in a position where they will probably choose to
not a) push the change into openSuse, or b) reference the bug at all,
and that's also bad.

But lets not forget that adding obscure changelogs *is* *quite* *bad*
in open source.

So, what do you propose? What *can* SUSE employees do to improve that situation?