Re: [opensuse-packaging] The Python3 devel project will be devel:languages:python3
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:51:31 +0200
On 12.06.2013 13:16, Sascha Peilicke wrote:
Hi guys,

since the Python bunch had the discussion recently, I want to drop all
python3 package _links in devel:languages:python and use their
counterparts in devel:languages:python3 as devel packages for Factory
from now on. This would include a number of chgdevel requests for
Factory [1]. The idea behind to have only python2 packages in
devel:languages:python. Currently, this project reached a size where it
became tedious to use "zypper up".

However, we will continue to track spec files for both python versions
at the old package location (d:l:p). It should be easier to keep spec
files in sync this way and you can submit changes for both in a single
submit request. So for the packager, this won't change much. If you add
a python3 spec file, a project maintainer will branch it to
devel:languages:python3 once your sr is accepted.

If we end up in far distant future where only python3 matters and the
py2 maintenance burden isn't justified anymore, both projects can become
independent of each other. For that we would simply remove _link files
to d:l:p.

So if nobody objects, I'll do it this afternoon.
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2013-04/msg00200.html is
still true

Greetings, Stephan