Re: [opensuse-packaging] uncertainties about patch packaging
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 11:44:27 +0100
Jan Engelhardt (jengelh@xxxxxxx) wrote:

On Monday 2013-05-06 11:21, Adam Spiers wrote:

Firstly, it does not document the exact format I should use in the
.changes entry. The "Patch life cycle" section says:

Any of those stages needs to be mentioned in the .changes file,
including the file name of the patch. For example:

* Add package-awesomeness.patch: Makes package awesome

... but an example is not sufficient to document a format. It's not
clear whether documenting movement through the patch cycle in the
.changes file is supposed to be machine-parseable, or just readable by
humans.

Just humanly parsable. Machines can simply scan through the OBS log
and detect addition/deletion of the file and its status by way of
looking at the Type 2 metadata.

OK, I tweaked the page for that.

It's also unclear how I should add a line

# PATCH-FIX-OPENSUSE fix-for-opensuse-specific-things.patch bnc#123456

when there is no bnc entry.

There is not much else besides leaving out the bnc# you could do.

Like I said, the alternative is to explicitly require a bugzilla entry
should be filed if one doesn't already exist. So you are saying that
it is better to leave out the bnc# ? Or are there some circumstances
in which it is better to file a bnc?

(You can edit the page.)

Not until I know what the correct policy is :)

Finally, the page is entitled 'guidelines', but if non-conformance is
grounds for rejecting a submitreq, I think 'guidelines' is too weak
and it really should be labelled as a 'policy'.

A guideline for package maintainers, who choose to make a policy out of
it for other submitters :)

In that case the page should say something like:

This page gives guidelines for managing the life cycle of patches
to packages. Each project/package maintainer is free to adopt
their own policy regarding how strictly they require submissions
to adhere to these guidelines, so non-conforming submitrequests
will be tolerated to different degrees based on the context.

Is that OK?