Re: [opensuse-packaging] guidelines for moving programs between packages
On 02/27/2013 09:56 AM, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Bernhard Voelker
<mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

are there any guidelines on how to move programs from one package to
another - while guaranteeing that the program is installed any time
(either by the old or by the new package)?

The case:
su and kill are moved from coreutils to util-linux upstreams.
It'd be "quite not so optimal" if an installation would be left
behind without them ...

As both are always installed on any system anyway, the simplest
solution would be to set

Conflicts: other-package < version-before-move

in each RPM. This would force both of them to be updated in single
transaction.

Sure, the problem is that I'm not the new package of util-linux
including su does not yet exist (and I'm not the maintainer).

Hmm, for local testing, I could manually create such a package.
Let's see ...

Unfortunately I'm not really sure that OBS actually provides
monotonically increasing NVR given how R part is calculated.

I don't understand because I don't know the abbreviations NVR
and R, but I'm sure I'll hit that issue soon. ;-)

Have a nice day,
Berny