Re: [opensuse-packaging] package looking for maintainer: the AT daemon
  • From: Adam Spiers <aspiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:47:35 +0100
Cristian Rodríguez (crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
El 27/11/12 06:48, Ludwig Nussel escribió:

I don't think the above is in the spirit of systemd. Ideally atd would
parse /etc/sysconfig/atd itself¹ and set it's defaults accordingly. Using
shell for this kind of things is one of the reasons why init scrips
became such beasts.

The main issue here is the usage of this wonderful invention called
sysconfig, which is really a hack for software whose authors were
too lazy to include a basic configuration file. ;)

I don't have any reasons for a biased opinion either way, but it seems
to me that you could also argue that this kind of laziness is *good*,
i.e. the authors were too lazy to reinvent a wheel, and that the
consistent location and format of config files it results in is an
advantage which can then be harnessed by things like yast.