Re: [opensuse-packaging] How to find out which dependency installed a package?
You can try "rpm -q --whatrequires php5" from within the build chroot.

Yes, one can try this and that until one ends up in madness... ;-)

Only "rpm -e --test package" shows the full truth which other
package(s) require package, see my English excerpt in
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-de/2011-11/msg00076.html

Yes, I was not far from there. I found some culprits but not all.

My procedure is now like this:

Find the dependency which enables the (failing) build when removed.
Go to the dependency. Look with rpm -e for the dependency's conflicting
dependency.

It's tedious, but it works.

Thank you for that link.

--