Re: [opensuse-packaging] How to disable no-return-in-nonvoid-function?
On Monday 26 November 2012, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar wrote:
Quoting Ruediger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx>:
On Monday 26 November 2012, Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar
wrote:
Quoting Ilya Chernykh <anixxsus@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Monday 26 November 2012 13:36:46 Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a

DimStar wrote:
I have a package that brings about 50 errors
"no-return-in-nonvoid-function". It is very difficult to fix
all these cases (not to mention I do not know C++ and can
only guess where to insert "0" and where "NULL")
and also I am afraid this can break all the existing and
future patches to this package. Previously I could disable it
by setting the badness
to 0 but it seems this does not work any more. What should I
do?

You should contact upstream and fix the issues...

If you really 'must' disable this (there is no chance for the
package to enter Factory though!) you can add
#!BuildIgnore: brp-check-suse
to the .spec file...

I know I can buildrequire -post-build-checks (was this package
renamed?), but this
will disable all ckecks. I want other checks in place, but only
this one removed (why it was transferred from
rpmlint to brp by the way?). Currently I added
"-Wno-return-type" to the compiller command line, but this
still seems to be too broad. Still looking for more specific
method.

The most specific one is: patch the source and fix the underlying
issue. The no-return-in-nonvoid has been a brp check for as long
as I remember...

Best thing is really: bring it to upstream to get a proper fix to
it...

But don't forget that "no-return-in-nonvoid" is just a warning and
not an error. In many cases you can safely ignore it.

A warning by the compiler does not mean you don't have to care for
it.. It means the programmer is responsible to know what is happening
in this code and there is NO guarantee between gcc versions that this
is not 'just changing'.

The only valid solution is to fix the code.

See for example this code piece (C++)

###
#include <iostream>

int foo() {
int a = 5;
int b = a + 1;
}

int main() { std::cout << foo() << std::endl; }
###

What is the recommended output of this? this example is somewhat
simple enough to understand what is going on... BUT the bad thing is,
if you ever extend the function foo() with anything AFTER, you migh
get a new return value, which is not what you wanted... hence the
warning.

Best regards,
Dominique (who wishes upstreams would learn about -Werror -Wall)

The example below also gives you "control reaches end of non-void
function" and obviously the compiler (gcc 4.5.1) is wrong. A valid
solution here is to ignore the warning or to fix gcc.

int main()
{
int i = 1;
if (i == 1) {
return 1;
}
}

(This is a stupid trivial example. You can imagine that there are also
real world examples where the programmer knows for sure that the
warning is invalid.)

Best regards,
Dominique (who wishes upstreams would learn about -Werror -Wall)

Yes, if you want to break your build on any compiler update.

FYI
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/4/21/325

cu,
Rudi