[opensuse-packaging] Fwd: [sleuthkit-users] Framework on Linux / OS X
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:22:24 -0500
Question from upstream package (tsk) about managing a config data directory.

See their email below, but it asks about how they should manage
configuring multiple possible config data locations. (ie. "/etc/tsk"
or "~/.tsk" or even "~/.tsk; /etc/tsk").

Upstream is proposing either having a hardcoded value in the source
which is updated prior to compiling OR alternatively to use a
environment variable.

I assume the answer in order of preference is:

1) Have the hardcoded default value and let ./configure override it by
modifying the source. (I'm not enough of an autotools guy to do that,
but I assume it can be done.)

2) Environmental variables are preferred if and only if each user has
their own config data location and it can't be a standard like ~/.tsk

Before I send that back to upstream, can someone confirm I have it right.

Thanks
Greg