Re: [opensuse-packaging] Make Shared Library Policy easier to read and follow
On Thu, Nov 08, 2012 at 02:48:40PM +0100, Michael Matz wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Michal Vyskocil wrote:

I hope I did not delete any code, just try to better structure it to be
not like a law, but something more understandable.

Actually a policy should really read like a law. Rationales and
explanations can go on either extra pages, or at least extra sections
after the rules are written down.

The policy doesn't try to enforce any naming scheme on the base part of
the -devel package. It's simply out of scope for it. I don't see the
need to include any rules. The rules for naming shared libraries have
technical reasons (in order to enforce disjoint rpm names), there are no
technical reasons to name the base name of -devel packages in any
particular way.

I'd say it makes a sense to at least _recommend_ the naming of the other
parts (even the -devel package is not really important, as we have now
pkgconfig(foo) symbols).

Yes, of course, such scheme can be part of best practices indeed.

OK then I'll create best practices page "for dummies", which will link
to the existing page.

Regards
Michal Vyskocil