Re: [opensuse-packaging] Make Shared Library Policy easier to read and follow

Quoting Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx>:

Are you refer to

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvyskocil/Shared_library_packaging_policy#-devel_packages

If more than one version of a -devel package can be installed at the
same time (for example because includes are packaged in a versioned
directory and shared libraries have a versioned name like
libgtk1.so.1), the -devel packages should be suffixed with a number
that allows identifying the version of the library (usually this is the
same number as the shared library package suffix $NUM). So such a
-devel package would be named lib$NAME$NUM-devel.

I hope I did not delete any code, just try to better structure it to be
not like a law, but something more understandable. If if did so, then
it's a definitelly a bug.

Actually, this is not entirely correct I think:
IF -devel packages can be installed in multiple versions, then the number usually does NOT co-incide with the soname... $NUM of the library is being bumped on ABI incompatibility... the versions in the -devel package usually refer to a API level... in now way should/must they be linked.

On this case, it's more useful to follow the API NUM specification, which is usually also represented in the directory layout used in %{_includedir}

Best regards,
Dominique