Re: [opensuse-packaging] setting a system variable and compiler options
  • From: Krzysztof Żelechowski <giecrilj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 14:13:19 +0100
Dnia środa, 24 października 2012 20:39:44 Denny Beyer pisze:
Dear all,

I could use some input for a progam I packaging at the moment, which
requires two system variables to run.

1. path to binaries
The documentation says, that /usr/local/program/bin/ needs to be in the PATH
- variable.
That shouldn't be needed, if those binaries are installed into "/usr/bin" by
the package.
If that doesn't work, I'll use links from "/usr/bin/"

2. path to libraries
Looks like this is needed:
MYLIBPATHVAR is required to point to the library of the program in
"/usr/lib/program/lib/" or "/usr/share/program/lib/"
How do I introduce a new system wide environment variable - available for
all users?

You hide the executable and write a script that sets the environment and calls
it, e.g.. R or Mozilla Firefox. Note that the shared library cases causes
problems because any program that links to that library must be called via the
script and, if it is a libexec program, all clients must be told to use the
script instead. The library is just being uncoöperative; live with it or fix
it upstream but do not pollute the global namespace for every other
application.

Chris