Re: [opensuse-packaging] package looking for maintainer: the AT daemon
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:14:11 +0100

Am 03.11.2012 03:29, schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
Hi:

I will no longer maintain fix or otherwise care about the "at"
daemon, starting now because I would rather devout my time testing
and improving systemd.timer(5)

So it is now up for grabs.

that's all ;)

Can you estimate the effort needed to keep it running and the time
frame until when people will start complaining why I bother the list
with help requests for "old rubbish"?

at(1) is part of the posix utilities so it won't go away any time
soon in favor of non-portable, proprietary tools such as systemd
(or launchd timers which systemd is aping).

What do you mean by ’proprietary’ in this context? It usually means that the
specification and implementation is under control of a single commercial
entity
that controls them for profit, like Adobe Flash or, to a smaller extent,
Oracle
Java. I doubt systemd is proprietary in that sense.

In the sense that implementation and specification (where it even
exists and has any credible stability) are de-facto controlled by
RedHat and are thus changeable at will. Combined with the
overarching scope of reimplementing Apple's launchd and large
parts of the lower-level userpace stack and the resulting
dependencies of higher-level components, the costs of forking or
swapping out systemd with alternative implementations become
prohibitive for other entities/copetitors with less engineering
resources.
--
Guido Berhoerster