Re: [opensuse-packaging] setting a system variable and compiler options
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:39:44 +0200, Denny Beyer <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

1. path to binaries
The documentation says, that /usr/local/program/bin/ needs to be in the PATH -
variable.
That shouldn't be needed, if those binaries are installed into "/usr/bin" by
the package.
If that doesn't work, I'll use links from "/usr/bin/"

Packages meant for the build service must not install to /usr/local and
will thus be rejected for factory.

2. path to libraries
Looks like this is needed:
MYLIBPATHVAR is required to point to the library of the program in
"/usr/lib/program/lib/" or "/usr/share/program/lib/"
How do I introduce a new system wide environment variable - available for all
users?

Like Christian wrote, you don't. If it's the application you're building as
part of the package needs to know the path you should make that a compile
time configuration issue. If the library is installed in a non standard
directory (e.g. in a directory not found in /etc/ld.so.conf) and is needed
by third party apps using the library you can teach ld.so the new path by
dropping a file with that path or those paths into /etc/ld.so.conf.d. See
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/graphviz.conf from the graphviz package for an example.

3. Compiler options for optimization
to improve the performance of the program, the compiler could get some
performance settings like
-O3 -mtune=corei7 -march=corei7
etc. to get the full capability for calculations (sse4.2).
How does that effect the packaging? Do I need to splitt off a -SSE3/4 package
and how does that work?

Compiler options are normally selected at compile time, depending on the
way you configure a package.

Otherwise you shouldn't do so, at least not in a package that is meant to
be part of openSUSE. Remember that you don't know on what type of system
your package is going to be installed and I do not know if rpm can indeed
distinguish the processor and thus select the appropriate package to
install.

You'll see the package in obs
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=radiance&project=home%3Alumnis

If time permits I'll have a look at it.