[opensuse-packaging] Re: setting a system variable and compiler options
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:39, Denny Beyer <opensuse@...> wrote:

Dear all,

I could use some input for a progam I packaging at the moment, which requires
two system variables to run.

1. path to binaries
The documentation says, that /usr/local/program/bin/ needs to be in the PATH -
variable.
That shouldn't be needed, if those binaries are installed into "/usr/bin" by
the package.
If that doesn't work, I'll use links from "/usr/bin/"

First: "/usr/local/program/..." looks wrong (HFS), either
"/usr/local/share/program/..." or "/usr/local/lib/program/..."

Second: There should be a param during setup/config before compile/install
to decide the BASE (defaults to /usr/local/, can be set to /usr/).

2. path to libraries
Looks like this is needed:
MYLIBPATHVAR is required to point to the library of the program in
"/usr/lib/program/lib/" or "/usr/share/program/lib/"
How do I introduce a new system wide environment variable - available for all
users?

Does /etc/profile.d/... parsing still work? Should be, if yes, that would
be the location, see python.* and alljava.* files there for examples.

Please ask for a security review if you use this 'public' dir.

3. Compiler options for optimization
[snip]
Can't help there.

-- Yamaban.