[opensuse-packaging] setting a system variable and compiler options
  • From: Denny Beyer <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:39:44 +0200
Dear all,

I could use some input for a progam I packaging at the moment, which requires
two system variables to run.

1. path to binaries
The documentation says, that /usr/local/program/bin/ needs to be in the PATH -
variable.
That shouldn't be needed, if those binaries are installed into "/usr/bin" by
the package.
If that doesn't work, I'll use links from "/usr/bin/"

2. path to libraries
Looks like this is needed:
MYLIBPATHVAR is required to point to the library of the program in
"/usr/lib/program/lib/" or "/usr/share/program/lib/"
How do I introduce a new system wide environment variable - available for all
users?

3. Compiler options for optimization
to improve the performance of the program, the compiler could get some
performance settings like
-O3 -mtune=corei7 -march=corei7
etc. to get the full capability for calculations (sse4.2).
How does that effect the packaging? Do I need to splitt off a -SSE3/4 package
and how does that work?

Could somebody point me to some wiki page / sample package to see how to
achieve that?

You'll see the package in obs
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=radiance&project=home%3Alumnis

cheers,