Re: [opensuse-packaging] Download BIG data in %post script. What do you think?
OK. So please now critique this one:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?project=games&package=smokin-guns-data&file=smokin-guns-data.spec

New approach...

On 27 September 2012 14:57, Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
And there are other problems with the "script":

- you cannot simply retry download again if it fails you would need to
reinstall
package again (not user friendly)

Allows it.

- the script does not check whether the files are already installed,
it downloads a new copy at every installation/update

Does with the data-version.txt file. I'm not 100% happy with it, but...

- it does not continue failed downloads ("-c" wget option would be nice here)

Not sure if Autodownloader does that. In general I would like to have
something better than Autodownloader.

- you cannot simply skip the download and obtain the files via other way
or share the downloaded files (i.e. you have 2 computers at home, you need
download the files only once, then you can just copy them to the other
machine)

You could but you would need to know that the main package expects the
data-version.txt with the specific content.

- no integrity check, no authenticity check

The zip file is verified with MD5. But once uncompressed you lose the
capacity to verify.