Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packaging Policies - and how to change them: A proposal
On 10/01/2012 01:07 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Looking at our packaging policies, I see nobody nobody currently
taking care of it and no real process to change them and make those
changes known.

I guess somehow double nobody makes somebody ;) please have a look at
the following messages, was that similar to what you have in mind

<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2012-09/msg00123.html>
<http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2012-09/msg00214.html>

But as you can see I could not get anything out of it. Guess people
rather want to discuss the version numbering and who is our potential
user, but seems like very few care about the potential contributors,
even though on almost every occasion people read this project is about
collaboration.

So, I'd like to propose the following:
* Introduce a simple process for changing the policies, e.g.:
- send an email to opensuse-packaging with a proposal for change
- discuss change
- if change gets accepted by packagers and reviewers:
+ update the wiki pages
+ send an email to opensuse-announce about the change (we can also
collect a couple of smaller changes and only send this out once
a while)
* I suggest to form a small team that guides the process and decides
if there is no consensus - and better formulates the process.

Any better ideas?

Not at the moment but your proposal sounds good.

Who likes to join the team and help shaping the packaging policies?

Count me in

Togan