Re: [opensuse-packaging] Warning: makeinfo was splitted off from texinfo
On Tuesday 24 July 2012, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 01:49:30PM +0200, Ruediger Meier wrote:
To add some numbers...
On a usual core2 machine the osc build installation part of these
(BTW now strange looking) BuildRequires from my sbcl package ...

%if 0%{?fedora_version:1}
BuildRequires: texinfo-tex
%else
BuildRequires: texinfo
%endif
%if 0%{?suse_version} >= 1220 || 0%{?fedora_version:1}
BuildRequires: texlive-dvips
%else
BuildRequires: texlive-bin
%endif

... takes about 9 minutes on openSUSE_Factory in comparision to 1
minute on openSUSE_12.1. When re-using the build root for packages
with and without texlive deps then the relative contrast is even
bigger. This is IMO just not acceptable.

It has me taken three months in parallel to my normal job to make
TeXLive 2012 compatible with the upstream package scheme. In fact
I'm using the upstream package data base to generate with the help
of some larger perl scripts the packages including fetching source
tar balls, generating spec files, incooperate patches, and further
dependencies, ... I'll not go back from this point.

This is problem of libzypp used by zypper and YaST.

Hm, for my understanding we are using rpm binary packages to have more
comfort and speed. If we have now thousands of texlive packages which
slows down any rpm related operation and makes it more complicated for
the usual user who just wants to have working tex stuff then mission
has failed.

What is the benefit of having all these separate texlive rpms? I'd say
the usual user will install either all or none anyway.

cu,
Rudi