Re: [opensuse-packaging] Could we decide on an official policy about pkgconfig() style BuildRequires?
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <reddwarf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 09:49:39 +0100
On 4 July 2012 09:26, Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:

On 3 July 2012 16:27, Peter Linnell <plinnell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Christian,

This all looks good, but can you revert the pkgconfig stuff, so it will
build at least on SLES11 SP2 ?

I'd prefer not to break this unessecarily on the lates SLE.

Thanks!

Peter

On 07/02/2012 02:23 PM, christian.morales.vega@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

home:RedDwarf:branches:network:utilities/aria2-parts ->
network:utilities/aria2

pkg-config()-style dependencies

Pros:
- Cross-distro compatibility

Which means disallowing patching or generation of pkgconfig files
ourselves.

What's the point of .pc files if they are not upstream? Just upstream
your patches and generated .pc files.

- Immune to package renames and splits (and someday someone is going
to decide splitting libqt4-devel is a good idea...)

Cons:
- They don't work with SLE and Evergreen
- Cannot split -devel packages properly. Like the -devel-static
packages cannot be required this way.

So we'd have a mix of ways anyway which I do not like very much.

I think there are more -devel packages without a .pc file than
-devel-static packages. It's already accepted that it would be a mix.
But you still get the pros for the cases where you use the pkgconfig()
BuildRequires.
With some luck the few cases where you can't use them will have the
same package name in other distros and will not be renamed/splitted.
In the rest of cases... well, you didn't win anything but neither did
you lose.