Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic submission of changes to Factory
On Monday 30 January 2012, Richard Guenther wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Vincent Untz wrote:
Hi all,

For a while, we've had the issue of packages with changes in devel
projects not always being submitted to Factory. At the last
openSUSE Conference, it appeared that not everyone was aware that
this had to be manually done, and one solution that was discussed
involved automatic submission.

After some push from coolo, I finished a script I started working
on a while ago, and we now have obs-autosubmit:
https://gitorious.org/opensuse/obs-autosubmit

To put it simply, it submits unsubmitted changes to Factory. It
tries hard to be clever, for instance:

Err, I think this idea is completely broken. These are
"development" projects after all. Now, do we want to split
devel projects into a "staging" project (state to be submitted to
factory (after some while?)) and a real "devel" project (where
development happens?).

BTW does auto-submit mean that submit request will be done automatically
but still have to be accepted by Factory manually?
Would it's possible to add the devel package maintainer as reviewer such
that he has the right of veto.

Or how about only sending a reminder email automatically to the
maintainer, like "package xyz is ahead Factory, consider submit
request".

- it only submits changes if the .changes entry is different
- it doesn't submit a change that is already submitted
- it doesn't submit a change that was declined/superseded

Coupled with the factory-auto checks, this means that changed
packages that don't build won't get through. (This has one issue,
though: if a package failed to build because of another package
being broken and got automatically submitted, it won't be
automatically submitted again when the other package gets fixed)

However, automatic submission is something that some people might
not want. For instance, in GNOME:Factory, that'd be insane as we
generally need to push several packages together and we do this
after testing G:F. Therefore, there's a way to disable this
automatic submission for either a whole project, or specific
packages. Right now, this way is a hardcoded list, but we'll likely
use attributes in the future.

If you want to *not* have automatic submission for your project or
your package, please tell me!

Please never autosubmit packages maintained by me (devel:gcc,
devel:libraries:c_c++/{cloog,gmp,mpc,mpfr,ppl}).

Thanks.
Richard.