Re: [opensuse-packaging] Where to put headers of python extension modules
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 16:49:57 +0100
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I have found that we don't have any standard location where to install
the header files of python (C/C++) extension modules.

There are several approaches

1.) install it into /usr/include
dbus-1-python-devel, python-cairo-devel, etc

2.) /usr/include/python${py_ver}/
python-greenlet-devel

3.) ${libdir}/python${py_ver}/${module}
python-egenix-mx-base, python-numpy-devel

It seems that our distutils expects the variant 2.), so all packages
have to be fixed to use this path. However I did not see anything like
that in our Python packaging policy, so I would like to ask here first

BTW: variant 1 should be considered as a bug as you can't install python
and python3 package in parallel (python-gobject2-devel and
python3-gobject-devel).

Should there be an rpmlint warning about this?

-Todd