[opensuse-packaging] Breaking the loop with pkg-config 0.26
Hi,

A while ago, pkg-config 0.26 got released and the main change in there
is that it depends on an external glib (instead of an internal copy).

We can easily drop the pkg-config BuildRequires in glib by setting some
environment variable so that glib knows how to use pcre & friends. (Of
course, we lose the automatic pkgconfig() Provides/Requires, but okay,
let's ignore that).

However, things get ugly:

+ if we want glib2 to build with the external pcre library, we need
pcre-devel to be installed

+ pcre-devel has a Requires for /usr/bin/pkg-config, and hence on the
pkg-config package (automatically added at the same time as the
pkgconfig() Provides, I guess)

=> to build pkg-config, I need glib2, for which I still need
pkg-config. Loops are fun.

The issue here is that to fix the loop, we'd need to eradicate the
pkg-config dependency on everything that is below glib2. This includes
at least libffi-devel, libselinux-devel, pcre-devel and zlib-devel. And
libraries that might be below those.

This sounds annoying, as it's easy to re-introduce a build loop. On the
other hand, I don't really see what else we can do.

Any opinion?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.