Re: [opensuse-packaging] Need help with OBS-project
On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Kim Leyendecker
<kimleyendecker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello geeckos!

 I created a little project because I want to getting around with OBS.
 So, I tried to create a standard-Kernel-package of linux 2.6.32.29. I
 created the project:

    Project home:openLHAG:kernel, Package kernel-default

 and then I wanted to load up the source code.... I downloaded the
 tar.bz2-file from kernel.org, and tried to upload it to OBS. But the
 uploading-screen doesn?t go away. It still stays after a few minutes. Am
 I just too impatiant or is this a general issue?

 I?m really green to OBS and package creating, so I really need your help :)

 Thank you very much in advance
 kdl

Kim,

I'm not expert on kernel builds in OBS, but I'm pretty sure you need
to handle it differently than you are.

OBS knows a lot about kernel builds and it expects things to be done a
very specific way.

You first need to create a kernel-source package

If you want to branch from the 11.3 kernel as an example it would be:
osc linkpac openSUSE:11.3 kernel-source home:$login

Or I'm sure there are lots of other ways.

Then you need to link that package to the various compiled packages.
Note that the names are very important, so don't change them is how I
understand it:

for p in kernel-{default,desktop,pae,xen,vanilla,syms}; do
osc linkpac -C copy home:$login kernel-source home:$login $p
done

Obviously $login needs to be replaced as appropriate. And if its in a
devel project, then all of home:$login needs to be replaced.

Once you get that going, their are special ways to apply patches, but
I've never done that.

Thanks
Greg