Re: [opensuse-packaging] %find_lang now removes unsupported locales
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 02:29:11 +0100
2011/1/14 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:
Am Freitag, 14. Januar 2011 schrieb Stanislav Brabec:
Stephan Kulow wrote:
The check that removes the language will output how many strings are
removed, so we can check how many strings new languages bring and I
would require 10.000 strings (for comparision, yast modules contain
~20.000 strings).

Well, for translation for dialects, 10000 would be far too much. It may
make sense even if a single string exists there. Here is an example of
useful use of that:
http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/sbrabec/i18n-demo/gettextdemo-0.1.tar.bz2

Translation for ln_CO is provided and translation for ln is provided as
well => It's deliberate and OK.
You most definitely right here. I'm talking about languages not dialects.

It would be nice to generate glibc locale for all locales that are
enabled for translation.

And it would be good to force to fail packages that try to install
translations to de_DE fr_FR etc. (especially when the don't provide de,
fr). People work-around current %find_lang approach by adding %dir.
rpmlint already checks supported locales.

Any good packager oriented documentation about all this? Or should I
read the full gettext manual?
The list at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?project=Base:System&package=filesystem&file=languages
is confusing. There are both "de" and "de_DE", also "es" and "es_ES";
but no "ca_ES" even if there is "ca".

Now I have a package that wants to install "ca_AD", "ca_ES", "ca_FR"
and "ca_IT"... but no "ca". What should I do? There is a bug to report
upstream here? The four ca_*.po files are identical...