Re: [opensuse-packaging] Help with illogical %files error
On 02/17/2011 01:29 PM, Yamaban wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:49, Dave Plater <davejplater@...> wrote:

Hi, I home:plater:kde4/plasmoid-yawp has a new file
"%{_kde_share_dir}/apps/ion_accuweather/satellite_map.conf" so I added :
"%config %{_kde_share_dir}/apps/ion_accuweather/satellite_map.conf" to
the files section, I didn't own the directory but 11.3 gives the same
error :
<snip>
RPM build errors:
File must begin with "/":
/usr/share/kde4/apps/ion_accuweather/satellite_map.conf

Removing %config and owning the new directory results in a successful
build. The bottom line is, I still don't understand "%config" and
haven't yet nailed down a place where it's explained properly.
The file "satellite_map.conf" isn't meant to be changed by user.

AFAIK %config is only for 'changeable' config-files e.g. /etc/blah, that
will get an 'extra' handling on update/upgrading and removal of the
package, probable NOT want you want. (It wont be deleted on removal, nor
changed on update (the new file will be 'filename.rpmnew') if the file
marked with %config is changed since install (see rpm --verify).

In this case I'd use a simple entry in %files, as it provides 'just' the
base-config (defaults).

Hope this helps, cheers, Yamaban out

It's set my mind at ease but rpmbuild sure has a weird way of saying
that what I did was wrong. Anything under %_datadir is supposed to be
read only so I should have known better.

Thanks
Dave P