Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package
On 02/17/2011 12:38 PM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2011/2/17 Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>:

The old wiki page used the incorrect way which results in an rpmlint
error about obsoleting and providing the same version, the new wiki has
the correct syntax where the obsoleted package has the previous version
to the provided package.

Correct for the pretty table. But the text behind it says that's the
quick way, and recommends a scheme that makes rpmlint complain.

There's something strange going on with the packaging portal, there used
to be "naming conventions" which as I pointed out in another message the
old wiki had the incorrect information and there was the correct
information in a new wiki, which now seems to be obsoleted by one which
is very vague.
Another thing that's missing is "language bindings naming conventions" I
needed redland python bindings for the LV2 plugin packages I'm pushing
to 11.4 so I built them within the existing redland package and named
them redland-python etc. This resulted in a scolding from the factory
reviewer about not following openSUSE "language bindings naming
conventions" with a hint that it should be "perl-redland". I suppose I
could have asked on this list first, in fact I did ask for somebody to
look at the package at the end of January but nobody did and a search
for wiki info was fruitless.

Now somethings gone missing about package upgrade paths.
Dave P