Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package

Hello,

On Feb 17 11:28 Cristian Morales Vega wrote (excerpt):
To be more on the safe side regarding whatever third-party packages
form whatever third-party repositories I would use

Provides:   pac = %{version}
Obsoletes:  pac < %{version}

so that it would silently replace any older "pac" from any repository.

Fedora does something similar:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Renaming.2Freplacing_existing_packages

But it would be more like

Provides: pac = %{version}
Obsoletes: pac < FIRST_VERSION_WITH_NAME_NEWPAC

Assume there is another repository where pac is provided with
FIRST_VERSION_WITH_NAME_NEWPAC < pac's_version < newpac's_version

Then such an installed pac might not be silently replaced
by newpac because the Obsoletes does not apply.

Or would such an installed pac be silently replaced
by newpac because the Provides does apply?

Or might whatever installer software (not plain rpm) run mad
because the above looks contradicting to its built-in logic?

I don't know.
This whole stuff is too obscure for my simple mind...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex
< Previous Next >