Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package
  • From: Dave Plater <davejplater@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 12:26:00 +0200
On 02/17/2011 11:26 AM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
2011/2/17 Christian <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

try

Provides: pac = 1.0
Obsoletes: pac < 1.0

I'm not so worried about making an specific package work as I'm about
having wrong documentation.
Are you sure that will trigger the update from pac 1.0 to newpack 1.1?
Notice you are no longer "obsoleting" pac 1.0.

The docs say "Strictly speaking, giving the old package name in the
Provides: field is only needed if another package requires the old
package name".
This is in the case of a -devel package rename like libfoo-devel
becoming foo-devel or vice versa.

From that I understand it's the Obsoletes the thing
that triggers the update. But this seems to be in contradiction with
"However, the Provides: entry triggers the selection of the new
package during update. It is this field which tells, I'm taking over
for the old package. The Obsoletes: just ensures an atomic replacement
so that no dependencies are broken".

If a leaf package is renamed, will it be updated with only the
Provides? I can't test right now, but I don't think so.

The old wiki page used the incorrect way which results in an rpmlint
error about obsoleting and providing the same version, the new wiki has
the correct syntax where the obsoleted package has the previous version
to the provided package.

Dave P