Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package
2011/2/17 Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>:
On Feb 17 11:04 Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote (excerpt):
But is the correct usage not like:
Provides:   pac = %{version}
Obsoletes:  pac <= LATEST_AVAILABLE_VERSION_WITH_NAME_PAC

With the various repositories of the openSUSE build service there is
no such thing as one known "LATEST_AVAILABLE_VERSION_WITH_NAME_PAC".

To be more on the safe side regarding whatever third-party packages
form whatever third-party repositories I would use

Provides:   pac = %{version}
Obsoletes:  pac < %{version}

so that it would silently replace any older "pac" from any repository.

Fedora does something similar:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Renaming.2Freplacing_existing_packages

But it would be more like

Provides: pac = %{version}
Obsoletes: pac < FIRST_VERSION_WITH_NAME_NEWPAC

, without using the %{version} macro in Obsoletes, to avoid
"gratuitously polluting the version space upwards".

The "version isn't increased with the name change" problem Wolfgang
points out would be solved with the release number. But we usually
aren't in control of it in the OBS.