Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package
Am Donnerstag 17 Februar 2011, 10:26:59 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
2011/2/17 Christian <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
try

Provides: pac = 1.0
Obsoletes: pac < 1.0

I'm not so worried about making an specific package work as I'm about
having wrong documentation.
Are you sure that will trigger the update from pac 1.0 to newpack 1.1?
Notice you are no longer "obsoleting" pac 1.0.

The docs say "Strictly speaking, giving the old package name in the
Provides: field is only needed if another package requires the old
package name". From that I understand it's the Obsoletes the thing
that triggers the update. But this seems to be in contradiction with
"However, the Provides: entry triggers the selection of the new
package during update. It is this field which tells, I'm taking over
for the old package. The Obsoletes: just ensures an atomic replacement
so that no dependencies are broken".

If a leaf package is renamed, will it be updated with only the
Provides? I can't test right now, but I don't think so.

It does not provide 1.0 - it provides 1.1

so you want
Provides: pac = 1.1
Obsoletes: oldpacname <= 1.0

--