Re: [opensuse-packaging] MMX/SSE in i586 packages
Hi,

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Adrian Schröter wrote:

Am Montag, 14. Februar 2011, 11:53:15 schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
El 12/02/11 18:38, Cristian Morales Vega escribió:
I have a program with a build system that adds "-mfpmath=sse -msse" to
the CFLAGS. What do you think, should I patch it? And if it used -mmmx
(gcc calls "i586" to a Pentium without MMX)?

Yoy could also create a 686 package and be done with it, like the
glibc ones.

i686 must neither use SSE by default, because the PentiumPro did not
have it either.

These all are good advices for the core distro. Caring for pure i586 or
i686 for addon packages, where the author explicitely wanted to enable sse
path (presumably for speed), is not really necessary.

We'd have to know which package this was. If it is anything remotely
having a connection with math, graphics, sound, or generally is a leaf
package, I say, leave SSE in. There simply are no non-SSE capable CPUs
anymore on which you'd want to run such type of software (that's the
difference to core parts, infrastructure and server software, which
conceivably some people like to run on old, Cyrix or transmeta hardware).

Ciao,
Michael.