Re: [opensuse-packaging] nginx-0.8?
Marcus Rueckert wrote:
On 2011-02-07 13:18:55 -0300, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 07/02/11 13:16, Ludwig Nussel escribió:
There's a package "nginx-0.8" in Factory. Yes the NAME includes
"-0.8", including the dot. Why isn't the package simply called
"nginx"? It's really counter intuitive to find it that way. It's
obviously not made for parallel installation either.

It should be 0.9 ... ;)

no it shouldnt. 0.9 is unstable.

and yes, IMHO it should be just called "nginx"

no it shouldnt. given upstream has the habit of maintaining up to 3
branches in parallel, we started to maintain them in that naming scheme,
to avoid having to rename packages everytime upstream opens a new
branch.

There is no rename involved. You create new packages for new
branches anyways. Having no main package just makes things
complicated wrt distro upgrades.

Also I still think that having a package name that looks like
version-release is just confusing. There should be a policy against
it.

cu
Ludwig

--